Sök

What Is The Shit? Turbo eller Kompressor?

2 117 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Jag väljer turbo och det av den enkla anledningen att det är mycket lättare och billigare att få till väldigt mycket hästar. Kompressorljudet älskar jag från alla år på strippen men nuförtiden så är det turbo som gäller.

För er som verkligen vill veta vad det handlar om och inte bara gissar er fram finns det mycket att läsa om de olika varianterna på nätet. Här nedan en mycket intressant artikel:

Turbocharging vs. Supercharging

"Given equivalent vehicles, the turbo would easily motor away from the centrifugal in an acceleration contest......The turbo offered massive midrange torque production, the only system to exceed 600 lb-ft.  Need more convincing?  At 4,000 rpm, the turbo was more than 100 lb-ft. stronger than either the Roots or centrifugal."  - Battle of the Boost, Hotrod Magazine, August 2003.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/images/turbo-housing.jpg

Similarities

Turbochargers and superchargers are similar in that they both compress air to higher than atmospheric pressures.  Normal or standard atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi (pounds per square inch or "psi").  The job of the compressor common to both turbochargers and superchargers is to increase air pressure so that more air is forced into the cylinders ("forced induction").  This increased air volume ("boost")  is mixed with a proportionately increased fuel volume which, when burned in the combustion cycle, results in increased horsepower and torque production.  However, this is where the similarities between the two types of systems ends.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/images/Centrifugal%20Type.jpg

Differences

Power Curves

Because they are belt driven from the engine crankshaft, centrifugal and roots superchargers build boost as rpm increases in a linear fashion.  As engine rpm increases, the supercharger compressor speed (and boost level) increases to the point of peak boost occurring at peak engine rpm.  For example, a centrifugal or roots supercharger designed to produce 8 psi at 6,000 rpm may produce as little as 2.5 lbs. of boost at 3,000 rpm.  Screw-type superchargers are more like turbochargers in that they build boost much earlier than a centrifugal or roots-type, but they are also belt-driven.  Turbochargers, on the other hand, are exhaust driven, and come up to speed very quickly (almost instantly if properly sized), and will reach the same 8 lb. peak boost level as low as 2,500 rpm.  The result is much more horsepower and torque being produced earlier at lower rpm levels with a turbocharger vs a centrifugal or roots supercharger.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/images/Roots%20Type.jpg

Efficiency

Just like the air conditioner compressor on a car, all superchargers, including centrifugal, roots and screw-type, require horsepower to turn them.  This "parasitic" drag is always present, even when the car is being driven normally, and can rob 20%-30% of the power being produced by the engine.  The result is a significant decrease in fuel economy and less net power produced.  Turbochargers, however, are exhaust gas driven and don't require any horsepower to spin the compressor.  When driven normally, a turbocharged car will not consume more fuel and, in fact, gas mileage can actually increase.  Even when under full throttle, a turbocharger system will produce as much horsepower at 9 psi as a supercharger at 12 psi.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/images/Cobra03cutout.jpg

Reliability

Both superchargers and turbochargers require high compressor rpm to compress the air.  This ranges from 30,000-65,000 rpm in superchargers and can be even higher with turbos (over 100,000 rpm).  In order to achieve the high rpm levels required to compress the air to the psi required, superchargers must have a step-up mechanism (gears, belts, pulleys or a combination thereof) consisting of numerous moving parts, to convert 6,000 engine rpm to the 40,000+ rpm necessary to build boost.  Turbochargers need no step-up mechanism and have only one moving part, the compressor/turbine wheel assembly (see Figure 2).  The simplicity of the turbocharger is therefore less prone to mechanical problems.  Superchargers must have a belt to drive them, and belt slippage or breakage is a common problem.  More serious problems include crankshaft, bearing and engine damage caused by belt tension forces on the crankshaft.  Turbochargers have no belt and no direct mechanical connection to the crankshaft, thereby eliminating these problems.  It is interesting to note that many automobiles and nearly all large over-the-road trucks use turbochargers that regularly log in excess of a million miles of reliable performance.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/images/Turbo%20Cutaway%201.jpg

Maintenance

Some superchargers have a separate lubricating system that must be maintained, but turbochargers are lubricated by the engine oil and require no additional maintenance beyond what is normally required for a naturally aspirated car.

Streetability

Superchargers are always connected to the engine, they are always producing some level of boost and cannot be "turned off".  Because turbochargers only produce boost when under load (as in full throttle acceleration), performance under normal driving conditions is no different than if the engine were naturally aspirated.  Turbocharged cars exhibit excellent driveability characteristics.

Upgradability and Adjustability

Superchargers are generally not upgradeable.  When higher performance is required beyond the capabilities of a specific supercharger system, the entire system must be replaced.  Turbocharger systems, however, are usually upgradeable by simply upgrading or installing a larger turbocharger without requiring replacement of the entire system.  Further, adjusting the boost levels on a supercharger requires removing and replacing pulleys, idlers and belts.  Adjusting the boost levels on a turbocharger may be accomplished with a simple turn of a boost controller knob from the comfort of the inside of the car.

Value

At first glance, turbo systems may appear to cost more.  However, if you consider everything that is included in a complete turbo kit that must be purchased in addition to the supercharger kit in order for the supercharger kit to be comparable (not even considering the performance differences), you may find the turbo system is less expensive and a much better horsepower per dollar value.

Conclusion

What does this all mean? Basically, an 8 psi turbo kit will produce more peak power due to the fact that a supercharger is using a fairly large amount of power just to get it spinning. What is more important for a street car is "power under the curve" meaning the average horsepower produced. This is where the turbo really shines since you can have full boost at as little as 2500 rpm! This will make the turbo car feel like it has 50% more cubic inches (or more). The difference in torque at low rpm's can be as much as 100 lb ft in favor of the turbo due to the additional available boost....now that's performance!

Forummoderator
10 576 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Shogun gör som vanligt mycket informativas och prydligas inlägg medans övriga verkar se frågan som "vilket låter ballast"

Turbon är genial använder energi som annars går till spillo, en kompressor måste drivas av motoraxeln och en motor om levererar 400hk på hjulen behöver kanske producera 600hk på veven/internt för att driva kompressorn.

dvs skulle jag köra min 1.8l motor som ger 426hk med kompressor så skulle jag behöva lasta motorn till motsvarande 600hk.  kolvar stakar foder mm måste alltså klara 600hk helt plötsligt. Känns jäkligt onödigt bara för att alla på zatzy skall tycka bilen låter kul i mina filmer...

Således kanske inte så smart med kompressor för höga litereffekter och driftsäkerhet....

Innan man själv kör och mekar en motor som levererar dubbla litereffekten mot Bugatti Veyron så har man helt enkelt inte grepp om vad det handlar om.  En V8 med kompressor och 500hk är mekaniskt fåneri i jämförelse...

-=[Performance by Torpis]=-
Elbil på riktigt - mina minnesanteckningar
-=Lite roligt att de som absolut inte har tid att pausa för att ladda sin elbil har tid att vara online på Garaget 24/7=-

German Engineering
9 083 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Turbo wink
Senast redigerat av CarpeDiem (12 augusti 2012)

Innehar SFROs bygghandbok så har du frågor, skicka gärna PM :)
Biltransport? Tveka inte att höra av dig :) Skicka PM :)

Saabvilde!
1 708 Inlägg
18 april 2008
En redig ketchup turbo är grejer ! Typ man sitter och tar på sig bältet och så säger det bara "WOIOOOOSHWAAASHAHAHA! så sitter man i baksätet smile Det gillar ja big_smile

God created weak gearboxes for SAAB to give the Volvo suckers a slight chance! ;)

5 710 Inlägg
18 april 2008
2 vettiga och informativa inlägg från shogun o torpis....bra jobbat gubbs! big_smile

Mitt val faller ju givetvis på turbon.....och anledningen kan man läsa några inlägg innan.

MVH Jonas

Better than God \o/
1 883 Inlägg
18 april 2008
TCG skrev:
lovemyr skrev:
Självklart ska man ha turbo. kan ju inte ta effekt från vevaxel för att få mer effekt de kan ju inte va rätt;)
Turbo bromsar ju avgaserna om man ska vara petig. Förhoppningsvis ger både kompressorn och turbon mer effekt än de stjäl från motorn. Annars ska man nog låta någon kolla över installationen. big_smile

Kompressor faller min röst på då jag vill ha en mer körbar bil. Går väl att få med dubbelturbo också?
Grejen är att en kompressor tar mer i förhållande till vad den ger jämnfört med en turbo. Där av mitt tidigare inlägg ang verkningsgraden.

Alltså, (OBS endast som exempel!!!)  om en kompressor ger 100hk kanske den tar 30, en turbo som ger 100hk tar kanske 20.

EDIT!  Oj missade inlägget från torpis.....   smile
Senast redigerat av MrTurbo (18 april 2008)

Beware the lollipop of normality. Lick it once, and you suck forever.
"Ungdomar borde förbjudas, de för bara ett jävla liv..." :-)

2 122 Inlägg
18 april 2008
de beror helt på vilken bil du har. Har du en ful liten japs så ska du ha kompressor och om du har en frän jänk så tycker jag att kompressorn passar bättre där!

Volvo 242 -75 Busbil
Volvo 245 -80 Projekt bilen

1 661 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Dubbelskruv till starten och dubbelturbo vid last.

Annars finns det ju inte mkt som slår en rätt avstämd dubbelturbo eftersom den kommer tidigt och går långt. smile

Ni som pratar om att dragrace nissarna kör kompressor tänkte på att de drivs på metanol och inte behöver pressa i lika mkt luft?

Oja, man ser ju på alla mercor vad effektivt det är med kompressor, en modern merca 2liter ger 150hk. haha, det gjorde 2liter sugjaps i början av 90talet.

10 287 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Man kan också titta på vad som valdes när överladdning med max 1.5L släpptes fritt i F1 på 80-talet. Trots utvecklad teknologi med kompressorer i tex dragracing i många år så valdes turbo eftersom det ger mångdubbelt mer litereffekt med redan då långt över 1000Hkr med 1.5 liter. Eller titta på Porsche i CanAm i början på 70-talet där dom körde upp till 1600Hkr i 5.4 liter.

/Göran

torpis skrev:
Shogun gör som vanligt mycket informativas och prydligas inlägg medans övriga verkar se frågan som "vilket låter ballast"

Turbon är genial använder energi som annars går till spillo, en kompressor måste drivas av motoraxeln och en motor om levererar 400hk på hjulen behöver kanske producera 600hk på veven/internt för att driva kompressorn.

dvs skulle jag köra min 1.8l motor som ger 426hk med kompressor så skulle jag behöva lasta motorn till motsvarande 600hk.  kolvar stakar foder mm måste alltså klara 600hk helt plötsligt. Känns jäkligt onödigt bara för att alla på zatzy skall tycka bilen låter kul i mina filmer...

Således kanske inte så smart med kompressor för höga litereffekter och driftsäkerhet....

Innan man själv kör och mekar en motor som levererar dubbla litereffekten mot Bugatti Veyron så har man helt enkelt inte grepp om vad det handlar om.  En V8 med kompressor och 500hk är mekaniskt fåneri i jämförelse...

I have nothing but confidence in you. And very little of that.
(Groucho Marx).
Åker numera Audi A6 -08 4.2FSI

112 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Larsson_Power skrev:
En redig ketchup turbo är grejer ! Typ man sitter och tar på sig bältet och så säger det bara "WOIOOOOSHWAAASHAHAHA! så sitter man i baksätet smile Det gillar ja big_smile
word:rolleyes:

Jag hatar fwd = felwheeldrive...

Meister
6 763 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Japs eller europeisk bil ska ha kompressor och amerikanska ska ha turbo. Varför? Jag vill vara tvärtom.

Men de beror ju lite vad man vill ha för karaktär på bilen åxo. Jätteturbo kanske inte är så kul att sitta och åka med på gatan..

252 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Turbo!

Kompressor är bara gamla jänkraggare som gillar

1 004 Inlägg
18 april 2008
lastbilsagregat för att det är biligt smile smile

"Det är ingen som kommer ihåg en fegis"

48 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Dtt bror ju helt på vilken karaktär man önskar i bilen sin.  Men ljudet från en skruvkompressor är svårt att slå så det faller nog på kompressor för min del smile

För alla dump kåta så går det att köra på kompreessor med , kolla på filem under den lilla corradon smile
Kör nu med bye pass men läre ju jämföra skilnande i gången på det olika systemen=)

Corrado 1.8t -89
Corrado G60 -90
Golf Vr6 - 92
Vento Gl - 92

Large Cap
1 816 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Turbo is the shit.

Kattjäveln åt upp min kyckling!
6 170 Inlägg
18 april 2008

"Att springa utan att man har polisen efter sig, tyder på att man har psykisk obalans" -blacken
"Köp inte en Saab utan turbo snälla, det är som att köpa en ostmacka utan ost." - Chrizz
http://glim.myminicity.com/env
Egen minecraftserver på esab86.no-ip.org :P

1 196 Inlägg
18 april 2008
turbo

Sleeper
3 084 Inlägg
18 april 2008
turbo och kompressor ska det ju va!

Usama C4 whitehouse, Clinton runs for barrack and bin ladin behind bush, where Bill plays with maiden - Run to the hillary, saddamly Reinfeldt FRA the quida(basen) makes law and Al become a bloody gore.
Dirka dirka muhammed Djihad!

1 396 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Vilken fråga..... wink

Motorer till salu, se www.garaget.org/NiclasT

I didn't spank you. I high fived your ass!
963 Inlägg
18 april 2008
Det som avgjorde mitt val gällande kompressor var att det är så lätt att få den genom besiktningen. Ta bort remmen och se glad ut. smile

Sök